Our Czech Memorial Sefer Torah
Sefer Torah number 226 is one of the 1,564 Czech Memorial Sifre Torah which formed part of the treasures that were saved from Prague during the Nazi occupation (1939-1945). These Torahs originated in the Jewish communities of Bohemia, Moravia, and Silesia, which came under the control of the Czechoslovak government for many years. The Torah scrolls were acquired with assistance from Artia (the Czechoslovak State Cultural Agency) for Westminster Synagogue, where they arrived on February 7th, 1964.
Some of the collection remain at Westminster Synagogue as a permanent memorial to the martyrs from whose synagogues they come. Many of the Torahs have been distributed throughout the world; they are memorials to the Jewish tragedy and spread light as harbingers of future brotherhood on earth; all of them bear witness to the glory of the holy Name.
Emanuel Congregation's Czech Memorial Sefer Torah originated at the Pinkas Synagogue in Prague, and was written at the end of the 19th century. We initially received our scroll in January of 1968, and it sits in a place of honor within our Aron HaKodesh.
Learn more about the entire project via the Memorial Scrolls Trust website.