Who We Are :: Our Building
After outgrowing the previous building, Emanuel dedicated the current synagogue in 1955. The sanctuary was remodeled in 2001 and flexible space was added for meeting the needs of the community.
Designed by architects Ross Barney + Jankowski Inc, the sanctuary reflects the history of the Jewish people and reminds us of the tents of Abraham and of living under the clouds during the Exodus from Egypt. A large stained glass window above the ark evokes the memories of lives lost during the Holocaust and makes the space very warm on sunny winter days.
Connecting the sanctuary with movable walls to Lederer Hall allows great flexibility during monthly Share Shabbat dinners and High Holy Days Services. Seating can change from an intimate setting for 80 in the chapel to accommodate 1000 in the main sanctuary. Dannenberg is the smaller social hall that can divided into two rooms, which allows for many classes or events to take place at once.
Our religious school space is on the second floor and has 9 classrooms. We are proud to welcome the Chicago Jewish Day School and Congregation Or Chadash to our building. Entrance to the large on-site parking lot is just north of the building.